The number one duty of a salesman is to serve the customer. Serve the customer above all else. Here are the steps for a successful sale:
- Humor the customer. Do not ramble on about your product’s benefits. You will lose him if you do that.
- Find out his problem. Let him talk about himself, about his problem.
- Verify that you know what his problem is. Ask.
- Tell him that you know you can help him. Now is the time to tell him about your product.
- Elaborate only a little. Tell him about the virtues of your product. Tell him how your product can solve his problem.
- He will agree. You have sold him on the idea.
- Close the deal. Have him sign on the dotted line.
- You have sold him the product. You have your commission. He has his product.
This is the process by which you can sell something. This is the number one duty of a salesman. Serve the customer. That is the secret of selling anything.